Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Marquette's New Addition

My sister, Katy went off to school at Marquette last August and I got my first opportunity to visit her this weekend. Despite the crazy snowstorm this week, the roads were pretty clear down here in Champaign by Friday, so I decided to make the trip up to Milwaukee.

I left on Friday after school and spent the night at my mom's house, just hanging with her and my brother, Ty. We had a very casual night: Panera for dinner and lots of chatting and being silly. The next morning, after taking Ty to get his allergy shots and dropping him off for golf lessons, my mom and I went to pick up Katy's bridesmaid dress (yay!) and stopped at Starbucks for breakfast. After that, Mom helped me with my FAFSA, and sent me on my merry way to Milwaukee. I love these short little visits with my mom...it makes me feel like I live at home again! :)      

I got to Milwaukee early Saturday afternoon, and Katy took me on a tour of the campus. She studies Engineering/Math there, so she showed me where all those classes are held, then took me by the library and some of the other dorms. She also took me by some of the cool landmarks: the Joan of Arc Chapel and the 'Toilet Paper Jesus'-a statue that looks as if JC is covered in tp.



We had lunch in her dorm after that (memories!) and decided to take the bus to see a movie downtown. I have to rave for a moment-we went to the Landmark Oriental Theatre in downtown Milwaukee. This was the coolest experience and made the movie so much better! It's a smallish theater only showing a few hand-picked movies at a time. Katy and I chose Blue Valentine, a movie that I've been wanting to see since it came out.

I asked the bored ticket-taker to our picture in this awesome location, though he seemed to think it was old news...


and we headed into the movie. Much to my delight, it was even better inside! As we waited for the movie to start, we were treated to the musical stylings of a man playing the organ! SO COOL!



No flash photography was allowed though, so alas, I was unable to capture any good photos of the bronze statues laid into the walls and ornate high ceilings.

However, that didn't stop me from trying...





I have to take a moment to say that one of my pet peeves is when you very nicely ask someone to take your picture and they either act as if you're a total weirdo for being excited about something you're doing or you're way too annoying to deal with. Perfect example: our engagement. Note to the guy who took our first picture as an engaged couple-before you act like we're loonies for being excited that we just got engaged, how about you put some shoes on for your walk outside? Thanks.

Luckily, we ran into a very nice lady on our way upstairs to the bathroom who was willing to take a great picture of us!


Random rant tangent (rangent, if you will) aside, Katy and I had a fantastic time during our visit. We finished out the night by eating Q'Doba and watching Batman in her dorm, then passing out on the lofted bed and futon  in her dorm room. My 25-year-old self had almost forgotten what it was like to sleep in a good ol' bunkbed!

Lots of bonding was had on this trip and I have to say just one more time how proud I am of my little sis. She is so super smart and is doing great in her classes. She also tutors high school students right now as part of the prep for the teaching program she's in, and plays flanker and prop on the Marquette Rugby Team. Not to mention the fact that she's totally independent and so mature for an 18-year-old. And also, whoa. I cannot believe that my baby sister is 18!

No comments:

Post a Comment